The original tag line for BroBomb was “Some Love, More Hate.” I’m glad we changed it, because I think all this writing has had a cathartic effect. I just can’t muster the old venom like I used to. I watched Refresh several times back to back and just couldn’t come up with a sufficiently long “Reasons to Hate” list…I’m sorry and I’ll try harder next year.
Reasons to Love Refresh:
- Warren Miller demonstrates that quality narration is like riding a bike; nearly a decade out of the game and he doesn’t miss a beat.
- For a sum total of 30 seconds, Will Wesson drops hammers like John Henry. If we didn’t get tons of him in Traveling Circus and Wild Stallions, this would be in the HATE column.
- Phil Casabon –dog tow-in and switch fifty on a concrete ledge– this Canadian has come a long way since the Plehouse days.
- Quebec’s concrete pyramids are introduced, slayed, and should probably be retired.
- Tom Wallisch straight handles the opening curtain. It makes me think of T Hall’s Session 1242 classic…I’m not saying he’s there, but damnit he sure has one in him.
- Did anybody notice that Talib Kweli is rapping about white kids who “want to be black kids, and talk like rappers” during Wallisch’s opener? I love subliminals.
- Delorme on that double stage Keystone jump. We can only watch and dream that our home resort would build something so fun.
- I could listen to Henrik speak his version of “gangsta English” all day.
- My younger brother has never seen a ski movie that didn’t have “too many powder shots,” but even he had to admit that Wiley Miller threw down. The butters, slashes, and 2 stagers keep it fresh. For the record, there was still too much pow for him.
- Not one comment about how friggen’ hard it rains in Alaska. Bravo!
Reasons to Hate Refresh:
- Ahmet Dadali holds poles less than a Mormon ex-stripper. Forcing him to hold them for this video just seems mean.
- Dear skiers with eyewear sponsors: A grown man should wear one of two styles of sunglasses: Aviators or Wayfarers. Notify your sponsors.
- Maybe one too many handheld-cam sing-alongs to “Just Like Living in Paradise”?
- Ahmet Dadali’s “NY” chain. Go PHILLIES!
- I’m sure that last Mammoth park shoot jump did wonders for ski-egos, but on film that sucker is the same as every other big jump that every other video crew filmed on. Get your doublecork-whatever in the bag and MOVE ON!